- Monday – There’s a rally down at Cal State Long Beach calling on Governor Brown and state regulators to out-and-out ban fracking. details on the event and how to sign a petition for the 99% of us that can’t make it this afternoon can be found here.
- Tuesday – The City of Santa Monica has a cool plan to create a neighborhood greenway to calm traffic and promote transportation options on Michigan Avenue near a school. Everyone is trying to play cool, but there a couple community members who are very opposed. The last public meeting before a February City Council vote is Tuesday at 7. If you can make it, it would help. Get details here, copied from an announcement from Santa Monica Spoke.
- Wednesday – A bunch of the top transportation reform and community groups are holding a gigantic meeting to strategize how to focus elected officials on the Metro Board of Directors to embrace a complete streets policy. The conference is over-booked, but if you didn’t know this was happening, you should. It’s going to be one of the big topics of the year. More details are available here, copied from the Safe Routes to School National Partnership.
- Wednesday – The City Council Transportation Committee meets at 2 pm to talk about the Streetcar, fixing Lincoln Boulevard, and a host of other fun stuff. You can read the agenda here and the special agenda (which is really just part II of the agenda) here.
- Wednesday – Do you bike, walk, or drive through the Beverly Hills portion of Santa Monica Blvd.? If so, then you know how fast cars drive and how difficult it is to walk and bike along this portion. Help make Santa Monica Blvd. safer and more people-oriented by coming to Wednesday evening’s meeting or filling out an online comment form. It seems that Beverly Hills wants to do the right thing, let’s make it easier for them. Get the meeting details, here.
- Saturday – Saturday January 11th we will undertake a trip that will have several purposes: explore bus and rail services for San Bernardino and environs, visit the San Bernardino History and Railroad Museum at the historic Santa Fe Depot plus have lunch at Molly’s, a 50s style café. The two departure options from Union Station on the San Bernardino Metrolink route are 9 a.m. and 10:35 a.m. Get the details, here.
If we missed something, or if there is something we need to know about next week or beyond, email email@example.com