City departments are starting to shake off the holiday rust and there’s a lot of important meetings on the agenda. The city’s progressive Bike Parking Ordinance finally gets a hearing at City Council, the controversial Wyvernwood complex holds a public hearing and the end might be in sight for the Ara Najarian re-nomination to the Metro Board of Directors.
- Tonight – The LACBC’s East L.A. Bike Ambassador team is meeting tonight at 6:00. Get the meeting details, here . Learn more about the program by reading Streetsblog’s coverage last week .
- Tuesday – The City Council Planning and Land Use Committee meets at 2:30 p.m. to discuss, among other things, the long-proposed changes to the city’s zoning regulations which dramatically increases the amount of new parking required in new development. We’ve been waiting almost a year for this hearing, and it’s finally here .
- Tuesday – The Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council’s Planning and Land Use Committee meets to hear a presentation from the Eastside Transit Oriented Development Sites Update (MTA), a brief presentation
regarding the four sites available for development, and to receive the Committee’s input on the list of land uses identified by community stakeholders. Read the full agenda, here .
- Wednesday – A public hearing scheduled for Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:00 am will discuss the recently released Environmental Impact Report for the proposed Wyvernwood Mixed Use Project.  For more on the hearing, visit our friends at Mis Neighbors .
- Saturday – Our friends at Boyle Heights Beat host regular meetings with the community to discuss what is being covered and what they should cover in the area. Its a fun chance to talk about the community and journalism with the next generation of great writers. Get the meeting details, here .
- Saturday – Community Services Unlimited will be holding a Garden Gateway  workshop from 9 a.m. to noon. Learn how to prune and care for fruit trees and find ways to make brussels sprouts yummy. The event will take place at CSU’s mini urban farm in Expo Park.
- Saturday – The Bike Ride for Safety and Justice  will take place at 4 p.m. in honor of Benjamin Torres, killed in a hit-and-run in Gardena late last year. This short monthly ride is intended to honor his memory and those of all killed in hit-and-runs. For more about the incident that took his life, click here .
- Next Monday – Streetsblog has extensively covered the controversy surrounding the re-nomination of Ara Najarian to the Metro Board of Directors. Najarian has been targeted by fellow Board Members because of his principled opposition to the I-710 Big Dig and his nomination was initially denied. Next week, the nominating committee meets again, and Najarian has vowed to seek re-,re-nomination and has the support of many of the committee members. As the Metro Board turns… Get the meeting details, here .
Did we miss anything? Is there something that NEEDS to be on the calendar for next week? Email damien at streetsblog dot org.