The Week in Livable Streets Events
Posted By Damien Newton On January 7, 2013 @ 10:19 am In The Week In... | 4 Comments
City departments are starting to shake off the holiday rust and there’s a lot of important meetings on the agenda. The city’s progressive Bike Parking Ordinance finally gets a hearing at City Council, the controversial Wyvernwood complex holds a public hearing and the end might be in sight for the Ara Najarian re-nomination to the Metro Board of Directors.
- Tonight – The LACBC’s East L.A. Bike Ambassador team is meeting tonight at 6:00. Get the meeting details, here . Learn more about the program by reading Streetsblog’s coverage last week .
- Tuesday – The City Council Planning and Land Use Committee meets at 2:30 p.m. to discuss, among other things, the long-proposed changes to the city’s zoning regulations which dramatically increases the amount of new parking required in new development. We’ve been waiting almost a year for this hearing, and it’s finally here .
- Tuesday – The Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council’s Planning and Land Use Committee meets to hear a presentation from the Eastside Transit Oriented Development Sites Update (MTA), a brief presentation
regarding the four sites available for development, and to receive the Committee’s input on the list of land uses identified by community stakeholders. Read the full agenda, here .
- Wednesday – A public hearing scheduled for Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:00 am will discuss the recently released Environmental Impact Report for the proposed Wyvernwood Mixed Use Project.  For more on the hearing, visit our friends at Mis Neighbors .
- Saturday – Our friends at Boyle Heights Beat host regular meetings with the community to discuss what is being covered and what they should cover in the area. Its a fun chance to talk about the community and journalism with the next generation of great writers. Get the meeting details, here .
- Saturday – Community Services Unlimited will be holding a Garden Gateway  workshop from 9 a.m. to noon. Learn how to prune and care for fruit trees and find ways to make brussels sprouts yummy. The event will take place at CSU’s mini urban farm in Expo Park.
- Saturday – The Bike Ride for Safety and Justice  will take place at 4 p.m. in honor of Benjamin Torres, killed in a hit-and-run in Gardena late last year. This short monthly ride is intended to honor his memory and those of all killed in hit-and-runs. For more about the incident that took his life, click here .
- Next Monday – Streetsblog has extensively covered the controversy surrounding the re-nomination of Ara Najarian to the Metro Board of Directors. Najarian has been targeted by fellow Board Members because of his principled opposition to the I-710 Big Dig and his nomination was initially denied. Next week, the nominating committee meets again, and Najarian has vowed to seek re-,re-nomination and has the support of many of the committee members. As the Metro Board turns… Get the meeting details, here .
Did we miss anything? Is there something that NEEDS to be on the calendar for next week? Email damien at streetsblog dot org.
Article printed from Streetsblog Los Angeles: http://la.streetsblog.org
URL to article: http://la.streetsblog.org/2013/01/07/the-week-in-livable-streets-events-95/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://la.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2010/10/sblog_calendar.gif
 here: http://la.streetsblog.org/2013/01/06/east-bike-ambassador-meeting/
 reading Streetsblog’s coverage last week: http://la.streetsblog.org/2013/01/04/east-bike-ambassador-program-bridges-city-decision-makers-to-regional-voice/
 and it’s finally here: http://ens.lacity.org/clk/committeeagend/clkcommitteeagend2680528_01082013.pdf
 here: http://bhnc.net/wp-content/uploads/docs/PLUCA_2013-01-08.pdf
 Environmental Impact Report for the proposed Wyvernwood Mixed Use Project.: http://cityplanning.lacity.org/eir/BoyleHeights/FEIR/index.html
 Mis Neighbors: http://misneighbors.com/?p=2479
 here: http://la.streetsblog.org/2013/01/07/cafe-de-olla-with-the-boyle-heights-beat-news-team/
 Garden Gateway: https://www.facebook.com/events/197616673712714/
 Bike Ride for Safety and Justice: https://www.facebook.com/events/456257901084261/
 here: http://la.streetsblog.org/2012/12/05/unsolved-hit-and-runs-leave-families-in-painful-limbo/
 here: http://file.lacounty.gov/compub/agenda/2004/cms1_188027.pdf
Click here to print.